ESR "Waning of Python" post

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Oct 11 03:11:00 EDT 2018

> In actual fact, it's not a problem per-se. It's a design choice, and
> every alternative choice tried so far has even worse problems. THAT is
> why we still have it.

That reads to me like a rejection of the point made in the blog post:
that the GIL prevents Python from taking proper advantage of multi-core
machines.

In other words: Yes, it's a design decision, but that design decision
causes the problems described.

Is it your position that the described behaviour is not a problem? Do
you hold that position because you think multi-core machines are not a
sector that Python needs to be good at? Or that the described behaviour
doesn't occur? Or something else?

--
 \          “A hundred times every day I remind myself that […] I must |
  `\       exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have |