ESR "Waning of Python" post

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Oct 11 01:15:43 EDT 2018

Paul Rubin wrote [concerning GIL removal]:
> It's weird that Python's designers were willing to mess up the user
> language in the 2-to-3 transition but felt that the C API had to be kept
> sarcosanct.  Huge opportunities were blown at multiple levels.

You say that as though we had a solution for GIL removal all
thought out and ready to go, and the only thing that stopped us
is that it would have required changing the C API.

But it's not like that at all. As far as I know, all the
attempts that have been made so far to remove the GIL have
led to performance that was less than satisfactory. It's a
hard problem that we haven't found a good solution to yet.

--
Greg