Observations on the List - "Be More Kind"

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 14:07:17 EDT 2018

On 09/10/18 12:12, Rhodri James wrote:
> On 08/10/18 20:46, Ethan Furman wrote:
>> Banning Rick Johnson:
>> --------------------
>> Hopefully no explanation needed [2].
>
> Explanation/justification needed, but given :-)  Again, I killfiled Rick
> ages ago, and I agree his language does justify banning.

Now I've had a chance to go back through the archive (it's been that
kind of day at work), I'm going to have to recant.  I can't find
anything that Rick wrote in the week or two before the ban that I would
call offensive, and not much that even gets as far as irritating.  I can
think of past instances where his behaviour would have justified a ban,
but in recent times?  Not really.

That's getting perilously close to banning people because we don't like
them.  We may be entirely justified in our dislike, but that's not
enough on its own.  And that, I'm afraid, is very much what the recent
spate of bans looks like.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd