Observations on the List - "Be More Kind"

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at vub.be
Wed Oct 10 05:13:31 EDT 2018

On 10-10-18 04:18, jfong at ms4.hinet.net wrote:
> Richard Damon at 2018.10.9 UTC+8 PM 8:40:29 wrote:
>> Moderators are generally appointed by those who do 'pay the bill' for
>> the mailing list they are moderators for, and serve at their pleasure.
>> Mailing List are generally 'private property', though often made open to
>> the public for general use. The owners of that property, generally have
>> rights to establish rules for the public to use that property (perhaps
>> somewhat constrained by whatever laws are applicable at the physical
>> location that the mailing list server, owner or moderator resides at).
>>
>> Shoot, as in physically, generally no such right; metaphorically, as in
>> sever discipline in list operations, generally yes, though perhaps
>> limited from some grounds based on applicable Laws.
> Then, I respect their right of doing this if it's a 'private property'.
>
> I switched from comp.lang.python to mailing list a few months ago for those spam threads there. Now it seems a bad decision because 1) replied mail can be lost  or duplicated or even banned.

That seems a bit incoherent. How did you think those spam thread are to be avoided?

> 2) look at each separately mail is not as comfortable as at a single thread.

Any decent mail client can group related messages in threads.

> 3) Google group is a more free land to live.

Possibly, each has to choose their own priorities. I perfer choosing the medium that maximizes
the chance of being noticed after your contribution was allowed, over maximizing the chance that
your contribution will be "allowed", but lessening the chance it will be noticed.

--
Antoon.