Observations on the List - "Be More Kind"

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Oct 8 15:46:48 EDT 2018

On 10/08/2018 07:43 AM, Rhodri James wrote:

> I appreciate that the moderators are volunteers, but they have official
> power on this list.  Being volunteers doesn't mean that they can't get
> it wrong, or that we shouldn't call them on it when they do.

I completely agree.

> They have got things wrong,

I completely disagree.

> and I have called them on it.

Yes, you and a few others -- and nobody has actually talked (emailed) us
directly, but rather talked *about* us on the list [1].

> The response has
> been... I'm trying not to say "patronising" because I'm fairly sure it
> wasn't meant that way, but "I'm sorry you feel that way" made me feel
> patronised.

You're right, I didn't mean it that way, and I apologize.

To briefly explain our decisions of late:

Suspending D'Aprano:
-------------------
His public post to me was shared with several people, including
moderators of others lists, and it was unanimously agreed that his post
was completely unacceptable and a two month suspension was appropriate.
I restarted that suspension because, according to his own words, "I am
ignoring the ban in this instance"; had he emailed me privately I would
have correctly posted the notice to the list; had he not said that and
just posted I would have fixed the filter and left the suspension alone
(he posts from comp.lang.python).

Suspending Mark Lawrence:
------------------------
He has a history of posting attacks.  I sent him a private warning, he
responded a couple days later with another attack.

Suspending BartC:
----------------
Many, if not most, of his posts' primary relation to Python was how his
personal language was better.  The resulting threads seemed to be
largely unfriendly, unproductive, and unnecessary.

Banning Rick Johnson:
--------------------
Hopefully no explanation needed [2].

Shutting down threads:
---------------------
There is a problem with threads getting heated and people not exercising
self-control and posting inappropriately.  That makes the list
unwelcoming.  As soon as we feel that that is happening we are going to
shut down the thread.  Personal attacks and name-calling are not
appropriate and will not be tolerated.  The goal is not to shut down
debate -- as long as the debate stays civil it will get no moderation
action.  If a thread is shut down and you feel there is more to be
(civilly) said -- wait a couple days so everyone can cool off, and then
start a new thread.

Hopefully you now agree with our decisions, or at least support us in
them.  If you don't, I actually am sorry -- I would much rather have
your support (and everyone's).  Either way, we are not changing our
minds about them.

--
~Ethan~
Python List Moderator

[1] Please correct me if I'm wrong.

[2] If one is needed: his posts can contain profanity, personal attacks,
condescension, and completely inappropriate language.