Use Software Collections for RH - was Re: python not working on RHEL6

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 12:17:12 EDT 2018

On 10/02/2018 07:59 AM, mchathuranga4 at gmail.com wrote:
> I guess from the little knowledge I have I should have executed
> altinstall instead of install. Anyone know how to resolve this?

Actually you probably should not have used a tarball at all.  For some
time now, Red Hat has offered more recent compilers and languages in RPM
format that can install along side the system versions. This is far
easier and far safer to work with on older operating systems.  I assume
you are using a redhat subscription for your RHEL6 install.  Follow this:
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/472793

If you don't have an active subscription, you might be able to use the
CentOS version of software collections at:
https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/