python not working on RHEL6

Dan Purgert dan at djph.net
Wed Oct 3 07:08:12 EDT 2018

Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 5:17 AM Thomas Jollans <tjol at tjol.eu> wrote:
>> [...]
>> Whether we agree on the terminology here or not, of course we can agree
>> that you have to be bloody careful if you *do* decide to put things in
>> /usr/bin yourself :-)
>
> [...] On my system (Debian GNU/Linux), /usr/local/bin is ahead of
> /usr/bin in $PATH, so even installing into local isn't going to
> protect you.

Here (MX 17), I'd also shoot myself in the foot if I installed something
as "/usr/local/bin/python" :)

$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin

I imagine there's good reason for /usr/local/bin to override /usr/bin
... but it also seems like it's a good way to cause "fun(tm)" problems.

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947