python not working on RHEL6

Dan Purgert dan at djph.net
Tue Oct 2 13:22:34 EDT 2018

Thomas Jollans wrote:
> [...] (preferably, not in /usr - that's for OS-installed files only.
> /usr/local is a nice place to put things you installed from source).

While I agree that /usr(/bin) is incorrect, I believe that "for
OS-installed files only" is taking it a bit far.

My (admittedly, dim) recollection of the FHS is that the /usr hierarchy
is for static[1] "user" binaries, libraries, and so on; while being
OS-agnostic (so long as that OS followed the FHS).

[1] "Static" in terms of the relevant filesystem being able to be
mounted RO and not cause any undue headaches.  I don't believe that the
FHS writers ever meant to imply that executables and symlinks thereto
were to be immutable such that installation of new / upgrading of
existing software is rendered impossible.

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947