python not working on RHEL6

mchathuranga4 at gmail.com mchathuranga4 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 09:59:26 EDT 2018

Hi All,

I'm a beginner on this. I was trying to install a new python version which is 2.7.5. My OS(RHEL6) had already installed version 2.6. so I downloaded the tar and unzipped it then executed

./configure --prefix=/usr       \
            --enable-shared     \
            --with-system-expat \
            --with-system-ffi   \
            --enable-unicode=ucs4 &&
make

afterwards
sudo make install &&
sudo chmod -v 755 /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/7.4/general/python2.html This is what I followed and which got me here.

everything was successfully finished.

afterwards when I type python in the terminal I get below error:

python: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.7.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I guess from the little knowledge I have I should have executed altinstall instead of install. Anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks.