So apparently I've been banned from this list

Fetchinson . fetchinson at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 1 15:58:42 EDT 2018

On 10/1/18, Roel Schroeven <roel at roelschroeven.net> wrote:
> jkn schreef op 1/10/2018 om 20:25:

>>> My apologies to you and the list.  I did indeed only send the notice to
>>> the other moderators.
>>>
>>> I have updated the filter that should be catching your posts, so
>>> hopefully the suspension is now working properly.  Since you did choose
>>> to ignore the ban, the two-month period restarts now.
>>>

>> As a reader of /occasional contributor to, this newsgroup (via GG,
>> admittedly)
>> since around the year 2000, I for one am mightily unimpressed with this.
>> There's a lot of heavy-handedness going around.
>>
>> And then ... you make a mistake, and then restart the ban?? Sheesh, where
>> has
>> happened to the the grown-up behaviour that c.l.python has always had?
>> That has been one of its hallmarks for the past nearly twenty years.
>>
>> I'm not going to go as far as to agree with anything RR says on the matter
>> -
>> but c'mon guys, lighten up.
>
> Yeah I don't understand this neither.
>
> I'm not very active here, but I've been lurking for years. In my eyes
> Steven has always been active and helpful. Now he has *once* been a
> *tiny bit* rude, and he's banned for that?
>
> As far as I can see the moderators do a pretty good job overall, but
> this decision is ... weird.

+1

Steven has been around for a long time, after a quick search it seems
for at least 15 years, I mean on python-list. He has consistently been
helpful and has dedicated an amazing number of man hours to altruistic
help of fellow python users, beginners, experts, etc.

I'm totally amazed by this decision to ban him. The official
explanation has referenced 2 potentially mildly problematic posts.

I guess the moderators do have and should have the power to ban people
but we all have the right to criticise these bans on a case by case
basis. I'm not implying that Ethan and the moderators who were
involved in the ban are doing a bad job in general, but in this
particular case it does seem hyper excessive.

Cheers,
Daniel