ValueError vs IndexError, unpacking arguments with string.split

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 19:08:28 EST 2018

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 10:55 AM Morten W. Petersen <morphex at gmail.com> wrote:
> But this raises the question of how to write Python code,
> short and sweet, that could handle infinite iterators in
> such an unpack with multiple variables to assign to.
>
> Which I guess is mostly theoretical, as there are other
> ways of designing code to avoid needing to unpack
> an infinite iterator using the * prefix.

It could only be done with the cooperation of the iterable in
question. For instance, a range object could implement a "remove
first" operation that does this, and several itertools types wouldn't
need to change at all. But it can't be done generically other than the
way it now is (pump the iterator the rest of the way).

ChrisA