ValueError vs IndexError, unpacking arguments with string.split

Morten W. Petersen morphex at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 13:00:17 EST 2018

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 6:21 PM Dan Sommers <
2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com> wrote:

> On 11/30/18 10:57 AM, Morten W. Petersen wrote:
>  > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 4:25 PM Dan Sommers
> <2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com> wrote:
> [...]
>  > But since you mention it, why is it necessary to ensure a successful
>  > operation?
>  >
>  > Is it so that when
>  >
>  > a,b,c = [1,2]
>  >
>  > fails, none of the variables a,b,c have been assigned to, and because
>  > of that, one avoids "rolling back" any assignment that would have been
>  > done without checking the right-hand argument first ?
>
> That's what I was getting at, but apparently failed to express clearly.
>
> Yes, there are use cases for a short iterator just not assigning the
> rest of the variables, and for a long iterator using only what it needs,
> but also explicit is better than implicit, and errors should never pass
> silently, and other bits of wisdom learned from horrible debugging
> experiences.

Aha, yes well you have head, tail, etc.

I guess syntax could be added, so that

a, b, @c = some sequence

would initialize a and b, and leave anything remaining in c.  We could
then call this @ syntax "teh snek".

😂

..I guess I haven't punished myself with enough Perl yet.

Regards,

Morten

--
Videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBlogologue