[Tutor] Error Python version 3.6 does not support this syntax.

srinivasan srinivasan.rns at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 15:49:25 EST 2018

Dear Mats,

Thanks a lot for your quick responses, again the below line seems to
be throwing the same error, is that should I again decode the line
where am facing the issue to str? or could you please let me if there
is any alternative solution for the same or workaround in python 3.6?

Code Snippet:

    def parse_device_info(self, info_string):
        """Parse a string corresponding to a device."""
        device = {}
        block_list = ["[\x1b[0;", "removed"]
        string_valid = not any(keyword in info_string for keyword in
block_list) ---------------------------> Again this line seems to be
the same issue

        if string_valid:
            try:
                device_position = info_string.index("Device")
            except ValueError:
                pass
            else:
                if device_position > -1:
                    attribute_list = info_string[device_position:].split(" ", 2)
                    device = {
                        "mac_address": attribute_list[1],
                        "name": attribute_list[2]
                    }

        return device

    def get_paired_devices(self):
        """Return a list of tuples of paired devices."""
        try:
            out = self.get_output("paired-devices")
        except BluetoothctlError as e:
            print(e)
            return None
        else:
            paired_devices = []
            for line in out:
                device = self.parse_device_info(line)
                if device:
                    paired_devices.append(device)

            return paired_devices

if __name__ == "__main__":

    print("Init bluetooth...")
    bl = Bluetoothctl()
    print("Ready!")
    bl.start_scan()
    print("Scanning for 10 seconds...")
    for i in range(0, 10):
        print(i)
        time.sleep(1)

    bl.pair("64:A2:F9:06:63:79")
    print("Pairing for 10 seconds...")
    for i in range(0, 10):
        print(i)
        time.sleep(1)

    # Seems to be an issue ----------
    bl.get_paired_devices()
    print("Getting Paired devices for 10 seconds...")
    for i in range(0, 10):
        print(i)
        time.sleep(1)

Error Logs:

Traceback (most recent call last):
, in parse_device_info
    string_valid = not any(keyword in info_string for keyword in block_list)
  File "/home/srinivasan/Downloads/bt_tests/qa/test_library/bt_tests.py",
line 52, in <genexpr>
    string_valid = not any(keyword in info_string for keyword in block_list)
TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'