What Python books to you recommend to beginners?

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 09:44:59 EST 2018

I've been using Python since long before Mark Lutz's book was first
released, so I've never paid much attention to what's out there.
Still, every now and then, someone asks me for a recommendation (as
just happened a few minutes ago). "Learning Python" was last released
in 2013 (Python 3.3), so lacks many newer features of the language.

What do people recommend? The target is Python 3.6 and 3.7. The
audience at work is a mostly financial/statistical crowd, so exposure
to things like Pandas would be nice, though I'm sure there are
dedicated books for just that.

Thanks,

Skip