Error Python version 3.6 does not support this syntax.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Nov 27 11:55:24 EST 2018

On 11/27/2018 7:50 AM, srinivasan wrote:
> Dear Python Experts,
>
> As still I am newbie and learning python, I am trying to reuse the
> Bluetoothctl wrapper in Python from the link (
> https://gist.github.com/egorf/66d88056a9d703928f93

Created in 2015

> ) I am using python3.6
> version, In pycharm editor on the bold highlighted code snippets I see the
> error message "Python version 3.6 does not support this syntax.",

No version of Python 3 supports the the old exception statement syntax.
Python 2.7, released in 2010, supports both the old and the new syntax.
I am not sure about 2.6 and before.  It is odd to me that someone would
use both the new print syntax and old except syntax together in 2015.

> Could you please how help me how the below highlighted lines of code can be
> can be ported to python3.6 version?
>
> *        except BluetoothctlError, e:*

If you run the code through the lib2to3 converter it will change ', ' to
' as '.  I have not

> Full Code snippet:

Not needed, however start_scan and make_discoverable are a bit flakey.
As written, out is discarded making the assignment to out useless and
the 'return None' redundant (since the function always returns None).  I
suspect that this is a bug.

>      def start_scan(self):
>          """Start bluetooth scanning process."""
>          try: