bottledaemon stop/start doesn't work if killed elsewhere

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Mon Nov 19 12:07:16 EST 2018

On 2018-11-19, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 15:33:47 -0600, Dan Sommers
><2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com> declaimed the following:
>

>>What if the oom-killer kills the watchdog?
>>

> 	Then you have TWO processes with out-of-control memory growth.
>
> 	The out-of-memory killer should only be killing processes that are
> requesting obscene amounts of memory. You could put a USB hard-drive on the
> system and create a swap partition on the hard drive (you don't want to
> swap to an SD card, it will rapidly kill the card).

This pi has an external USB drive (with its own power supply) for
everything except /boot, including a 46 GB swap partition!

> 	More important -- try to find out what your daemon is doing that is
> increasing its memory usage (Firefox on Windows is a known hog; I have to
> kill it periodically as it grows to 1.5GB [it's the 32-bit version due to
> my favored plug-ins that are no longer supported in 64-bit, so has a 2GB
> process limit]).

AFAICT the oom-killer only fires when the nightly texpire cron job (a
component of the leafnode local news server) is running, & even then
only once a week or so.  Usually when that happens, it kills texpire,
which doesn't really matter, since that runs again the next night.
Occasionally it kills some other thing.  I don't see how this
bottledaemon could be the memory hog --- it has one endpoint that
accepts a few hundred bytes of JSON, validates it, & then appends a
line to a TSV file.

Thanks,
Adam