Question about the definition of the value of an object

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Mon Nov 19 11:57:30 EST 2018

On 19/11/2018 14:08, Iwo Herka wrote:
> I've been looking for something in the documentation
> (https://docs.python.org/3.8/reference/datamodel.html) recently
> and I've noticed something weird. Documentation states that every
> object has a value, but doesn’t provide any definition
> whatsoever of what the value is. Now, I'm sure that every reasonably
> fluent Python programmer has an intuitive
> understanding of the term, nonetheless, I would expect the
> documentation defines it somehow (not necessarily
> in a formal fashion), especially considering that "the value of an
> object" is used to explain other concepts, such as
> mutability:

I don't think it's weird at all.  "Value" is a complex concept, just ask
a philosopher next time you have a few weeks free :-)  You even
demonstrated as much, when you noted that ordering is part of the value
of a tuple.  Attempting to define value here would be at best a massive
distraction from the concepts the documentation is trying to get across.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd