Reading 'scientific' csv using Pandas?

Martin Schöön martin.schoon at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 07:42:57 EST 2018

I am in this project where I try to get an overview of a bunch of
computer generated (finite element program) data. I have it stored in a
number of csv files.

Reading the data into spreadsheet programs works fine but is very labour
intensive so I am working with Pandas in Jupyter notebooks which I find
much more efficient.

Now I hit a bump in the road when some of the data is not in plain
decimal notation (xxx,xx) but in 'scientific' (xx,xxxe-xx) notation.

I use read.csv and I read its documentation and poke around for
information on this but so far I have failed. Either I have found it
already but I don't understand or I ask the wrong question to the search
engines.

My experience of Pandas is limited and I would appreciate some guidance.

/Martin