All of a sudden code started throwing errors

Matt Wheeler m at funkyhat.org
Wed Nov 14 15:10:42 EST 2018

> On 14 Nov 2018, at 13:51, Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:
>
> Diagnosis: you managed to remove your current working directory, probably
> because you used os.chdir() to switch to a temporary directory and then
> forgot to switch back.
>
> Solution: don't do that ;)
>
> I recommend that you avoid chdir() in your code and instead always include
> the directory into the filename.

A pattern I find myself using frequently, when I do need to “cd”, is to write a tiny context manager:

```
import os
from contextlib import context manager

@contextmanager
def pushd(path):
    old_dir = os.getcwd()
    os.chdir(path)
    try:
        yield
    finally:
        os.chdir(old_dir)
```

(I tend to just copy this into projects where I need it (or write it again), as a whole dependency for something so tiny seems like it would be overkill :)

--
Matt Wheeler
http://funkyh.at