IDLE Default Working Directory

Bev in TX countryone77 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 11:33:07 EST 2018

> On Nov 12, 2018, at 10:07 AM, Brian Oney <brian.j.oney at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 2018-11-12 at 09:35 -0600, Bev in TX wrote:
>> I am not the OP and I’m on macOS — no shortcuts.  How would one do the same thing on other platforms?
>> Bev in TX
> Hello there,
>
> I am not an IDLE user. You may try a startup script from python, as per the following.
>
> oney at oney <mailto:oney at oney>:~$ cat pyhelp/change_to_current_dir.py
> #!/usr/bin/env python3
>
> import os
> import sys
>
> os.chdir(os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(__file__)))

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to provide that script.  I experimented with it, but it does not work as desired in Idle.  I tried:
* Changed to project directory and then opened Idle
     Idle -> File-> Open still opens ~/Documents — not the project folder.
* Placed the change folder script in ~/Documents, opened it in Idle and ran it
     Idle did not change to the project folder — it stayed in whichever folder the change folder script resided.

Unless someone can come up with a better option for macOS, the best that I can think of is to add the project folder to the side bar so that it is easier to access it in Idle -> File -> Open.

Bev in TX