IDLE Default Working Directory

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 14:28:12 EST 2018

On 11/12/18, Christman, Roger Graydon <dvl at psu.edu> wrote:
> eryk sun <eryksun at gmail.com> responded:
> ________________________________
> On 11/12/18, Christman, Roger Graydon <dvl at psu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I looked in IDLE's own configuration menu, and didn't see anything there
>> --
>> and I fear that I might have to fight some Windows settings somewhere
>> else
>> instead.   I think this is Windows 10.
>
> Modify the "Start in" field of the IDLE shortcut. You can use
> environment variables, e.g. "%UserProfile%\Documents".
> >
> Unfortunately, since I do not have any administrative privileges, I do not
> think I have the ability to modify any of these shortcuts.  Nor do I know
> off hand how to set environment variables in a manner that would work
> consistently throughout the term, so that they persist for all logins.

If Python is installed for all users, then the shortcut should be a
file named like "IDLE (Python 3.x [32|64]-bit).lnk" in the directory
"%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Python 3.x". Copy
it to the user's desktop, where you'll have the right to modify it. Or
instead you can just create a new shortcut on the desktop that runs
"C:\path\to\python\installation\pythonw.exe"
"C:\path\to\python\installation\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw".

As to environment variables to use in "Start in", %UserProfile% is a
built-in variable for the current user's profile directory; you don't
have to add it.