Usenet Gateway

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu May 24 09:01:08 EDT 2018

On Thu, 24 May 2018 05:44:26 -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:

> I agree web forums really suck for any kind of multi-user conversation.

Oh good. Because the Python core-devs are talking about moving to
Github's web interface instead of email. Because Github is the future :-)

https://circleci.com/blog/its-the-future/

https://hackernoon.com/its-the-future-again-cd038b72dd0b

[...]
> GMail's web interface and mailing lists... ugh.  "Conversations" is not
> threading no matter what Google calls it!

Indeed. Gmail conversations are really good, right up to the moment when
they're not and you want real threading, and then you're screwed
seventeen ways to Sunday.

I especially love the way occasionally Gmail will decide that an email
you sent to Joe Blogs with subject line "Let's go fishing!" and an email
you sent to Peter Parker with subject line "Where's the beef?" belong to
the same conversation, and as far as I can tell there's no way to
convince it otherwise.

--
Steve