Usenet Gateway

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed May 23 20:00:15 EDT 2018

On Wednesday 23 May 2018 19:24:52 Alan Bawden wrote:

> Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> writes:
> > You are stating an opinion, but no facts to back it up, so describe
> > your environment that makes you write that, please.
>
> If he describes his environment and why he likes it, will that be a
> "fact"?  Or will you dismiss that as just another "opinion"?
>
> You asked:
> > can someone explain to me why the mailing list (spam free) is not
> > used by everybody?

I did not ask that, somebody's quoting is miss adjusted.

> And the fact is that in many people's opinions, "the Usenet/NNTP
> interface (with a good newsreader) is so much better!"  That _is_ the
> answer to your question.

But it wasn't my question.

> I'm using Gnus myself, and I find that for a list/group like this, it
> works better than any mail client I have ever used.  The threading
> support is excellent.  And the scoring system lets me not only filter
> out the spam, but it also lets me tune out the people I think are
> idiots, who would show up even on the mailing list.
>
> That's just my opinion, of course.

Whereas I use kmail, with background helpers that do 99% of the work for
me. It can search, thread, and all those things that a news reader like
gnus or slrn can do. kmail is quite configurable, but note this is not
the new kmail from kde, its the old kmail that TDE uses. Forked from the
KDE-3.5 repo several years ago, with the emphasis since on fixing bugs
that Ingo K. had no interest in fixing. In 2018 now, its Just Works(TM).
But development continues to make it even more stable.

And of course thats just my opinion too. :)

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)