Usenet Gateway

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Wed May 23 14:03:41 EDT 2018

On 2018-05-23, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer <arj.python at gmail.com> wrote:
>> can someone explain to me why the mailing list (spam free) is not used by
>> everybody?
>
> Because the Usenet/NNTP interface (with a good newsreader) is so much
> better! :-)

Yes.  NNTP and NNTP clients were designed from the ground up to deal
with ongoing discussions shared by large groups of people posting lots
of messages, and they're _very_ good at.

Email was designed for one person sending one message to another.

Over the years, people have cobbled together bits and pieces and
features to try to make it work for shared discussions. As a result,
mailing lists mostly work (especially for low-volume "groups") and are
pretty decent compared to "web forums" and other such wastes of
electrons.

But IMO email pales in comparison to NNTP when there are more than a
few messages per day per group.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! ... I have read the
                                  at               INSTRUCTIONS ...