Usenet Gateway (was: Spam levels.)

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Wed May 23 11:06:42 EDT 2018

On 2018-05-23 10:00:56 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2018 08:01:35 +0200, dieter <dieter at handshake.de> declaimed
> the following:
>
> >Maybe something went wrong with the integration of your NTTP server
> >with the Gmane one?
>
> 	GMANE doesn't (to my knowledge) peer to NNTP servers. It provides an
> NNTP interface to archives of /mailing lists/.

I was quite sure that it did, but it is likely that I mis-remember.

I looked into the newsgroup and there are indeed no messages injected by
gmane. Messages posted to gmane are sent to the mailinglist and (like
all other messages from the mailinglist) injected into usenet through
the gateway at uni-berlin.de.

It seems that this gateway changes all message-ids to
     <mailman.XXX.XXXXXXXXXX.XXXX.python-list at python.org>

Although the message ids look like they are generated by the mailing
list software (they contain "mailman" and "python-list"), they are only
in the usenet postings, not in the messages sent to mailing list
subscriberts, so I think it must be the gateway that generates these
ids.

(I checked this for a few recent messages from the mailing list).

This is what I thought I saw gmane doing, so it is very likely that I
was mistaken and that it the gateway at uni-berlin.de all along.

I apologize for attributing the error to Gmane.

Are the persons running the gateway reading this list? Could you please
fix this? Changing message-ids is an absolute no-no.

        hp