Tkinter and root vs. Wayland

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue May 22 17:52:16 EDT 2018

For a couple decades now, I've been distributing a couple smallish
Tkinter applications that need to run as root for a variety of reasons
(raw Ethernet access, starting/stopping daemons, loading and unloading
kernel modules, reading and writing config files that are owned by
root).

As part of RedHat's switch to Wayland, they've decided that GUI X11
apps running as root will no longer be allowed to connect to the
Wayland desktop server/compositor/whatever-it's-called.  When it was
pointed out to RedHat that this will break lots of applications, the
official word from on high is that all GUI apps requiring root
privileges need to be redesigned so that their GUI is running as a
normal user.

How does one do that in a Tkinter app?  Do I need to start as root and
fork a process that drops privledges and starts Tkinter and then the
two processes communicate via sockets or Posix queues or whatnot?

Can Python multiprocessing be used in this way?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! If our behavior is
                                  at               strict, we do not need fun!