"Data blocks" syntax specification draft

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Mon May 21 07:14:52 EDT 2018

On 5/19/18 10:58 PM, Mikhail V wrote:
> I have made up a printable PDF with the current version
> of the syntax suggestion.
>
> https://github.com/Mikhail22/Documents/blob/master/data-blocks-v01.pdf
>
> After some of your comments I've made some further
> re-considerations, e.g. element separation should
> be now much simpler.
> A lot of examples with comparison included.
>

> Comments, suggestions are welcome.

Mikhail, you have a completely different esthetic for syntax than the
rest of the Python world.  Your proposal seems to have almost nothing in
common with existing Python syntax.  Your approach to whitespace is
different. You've ignored existing words (tuple, str) in favor of new
shorthands (t, s).  You use semicolon and asterisk for something new.
Parentheses enclosing strings!?

This is never going to be adopted as Python syntax. It's too different.

That's fine: make a new file format.  Write a library that can read and
write this format.  Propose it to people, and get them using it.  We
have xml, ini, json, yaml, and toml.  Now we can also have data blocks.

--Ned.