"Data blocks" syntax specification draft

Mikhail V mikhailwas at gmail.com
Mon May 21 00:00:05 EDT 2018

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 5:20 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> One comment.
>>>
>>> I'm not interested in downloading a PDF. Can you rework your document
>>> to be in a more textual format like Markdown or reStructuredText?
>>> Since you're hosting on GitHub anyway, the rendering can be done
>>> automatically.
>>>
>>> ChrisA
>>

>> What against PDF?
>> Anyway, I have reloaded files with most recent corrections in various formats:
>
> The very best way to put your proposal is right here in the body of
> the email, as plain Unicode (and primarily ASCII) text, no images, no
> external links, no side dependencies.

Well that's the easiest way for me, but - if the document changes constantly
then it is more convenient to have a web link for a document.

> The second best way is to have a simple link that anyone can click on
> to read your proposal. It's an external dependency, but you're
> depending on a web browser and a basic internet connection, and
> nothing more.
>
> Forcing us to download a PDF and then read it? Well, it's your
> decision. My decision is that I cannot be bothered going to THAT much
> effort to figure out what you're saying.

THAT much effort to click two times instead of one - and get a
formatted document instead of plain bw text. o-kaay..

> The PDF link you give is not viewable on the web

Dunno, works for me - I click it and see immediately my PDF in
the browser. But I (and many people) prefer to download anyway.
Also I provided a link to HTML - also works per click and looks even
better than PDF.

> As Ian says, reStructuredText is the only supported format [1] for
> PEPs, so you may as well just start using it straight away. GitHub
> automatically renders it if you use a ".rst" extension on your file,
> so the rendered form would be visible on the web.

Ok. How is about images? this proposal will require a lot of images
- otherwise people who read it are forced to copy-paste snippets
into their code editors to understand how it may look in reality.

> I'm not going to read your proposal if you force me to go to heaps of
> effort for it.

heaps! oh come on, youre making up again.