syntax oddities

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri May 18 09:24:58 EDT 2018

On Fri, 18 May 2018 13:25:52 +0100, Paul Moore wrote:

> In "Corporate"
> cultures like where I work (where IT and business functions interact a
> lot, and business users typically use tools like Outlook) top-posting is
> common, conventional, and frankly, effective.

I don't believe that email is effective in corporate culture *at all*,
regardless of posting convention. Email is for sending, not reading or
responding to. When people do respond to it, they invariably send some
stream of consciousness nonsense that doesn't answer the questions you
asked or give you enough instructions to actually get the job done that
they want you to do.

Email in corporate culture is good for only one thing: after the
seventeen pages of quoted text, and before the two page disclaimer
telling you that legally you are in violation of a hundred and seventeen
laws by merely walking past the building where the email was sent, the
sender usually has their phone number so you can call them and ask them
what they actually want done.

*Usually*.

--
Steve