syntax oddities

Ben Bacarisse ben.usenet at bsb.me.uk
Fri May 18 08:20:27 EDT 2018

bartc <bc at freeuk.com> writes:

> On 17/05/2018 23:49, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 8:44 AM, Paul <tallpaul at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I've been using email for thirty years, including thousands of group emails
>>> at many tech companies, and no one has ever suggested, let alone insisted
>>> on, bottom posting.  If someone's late to a thread they can read from it
>>> the bottom up.
>>
>> Remind me which direction text is usually written in English?
>
> Is this a trick question? It's usually written left to right.

in a rather biased way "front to back" -- turning pages to the left.
an English book is read left to right, top to bottom and what we call
two" because in printed text, pages also ordered need to be order.  Thus
we read English text left to right and top to bottom.  I say "at least
bottom.  The slightly sarcastic question was supposed remind people that
lines left to right, lines are stacked, almost always from top to
There are at least two directions for most text.  After constructing

--
Ben.