syntax oddities

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu May 17 10:56:41 EDT 2018

On Fri, 18 May 2018, Chris Angelico wrote:

>> Top posting saves a huge amount of useless scrolling time.  Is it frowned
>> upon on this list?
>
> Trimming your replies saves even more. Yes, it is.

   Allow me to add an additional reason for trimming and responding beneath
each quoted section: it puts the response in the proper context.

   People who top-post require the reader to scroll up and down to fit the
response to the original message. Might as well just send a response without
the original message and elimiate all scrolling ... as well as the context
of the thread.

   When we respond to a received message (mail list or direct) we want the
reader to understand what we write. Trimming away all but the pieces to
which we respond makes communication more clear and, we hope, more
effective.

Regards,

Rich