stock quotes off the web, py style

Mike McClain mike.junk.46 at att.net
Tue May 15 20:23:42 EDT 2018

    Initially I got my quotes from a broker daily to plug into a
spreadsheet, Then I found Yahoo and wrote a perl script to grab them.
When Yahoo quit supplying quotes I found AlphaVantage.co and rewrote
the perl script.
    AlphaVantage.co has been down since last week and I found
iextrading.com has a freely available interface. Since it needs
a rewrite and I'm trying to get a handle on python this seems
like a good opportunity to explore.
    If someone would please suggest modules to explore. Are there any
upper level modules that would allow me to do something like:

from module import get
def getAquote(symbol):
    url = 'https://api.iextrading.com/1.0/stock/()/quote'.format(symbol)
    reply = module.get(url)
    return my_parse(reply)

Thanks,
Mike
--
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick
themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.