seeking deeper (language theory) reason behind Python design choice

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Mon May 14 08:49:19 EDT 2018

On 13/05/18 05:31, Python wrote:
> No, you are not.  Do you ever say "dog" when you mean "dot" instead?
> Do you ever say "dad" when you mean "mom" instead?

One of my aunts used to muddle family names all the time.  She once
called me by my sister's name; one would have thought the beard was a
clue to that one.

Similarly  my mother once asked my sister to "Get the thingummy off the
whatsit."  The alarming thing was that my sister understood this and
handed her the correct object.

So yes, actually we do make that kind of error all the time.  Moreover,
it's very hard to notice *in your own code* because you read what you
meant, not what you wrote.  Ask any author about proof-reading, and
they'll tell you to get someone else to do it.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd