Leading 0's syntax error in datetime.date module (Python 3.6)

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Thu May 10 13:58:16 EDT 2018

> I wonder why someone would take a feature generally agreed to be a
> poorly designed feature of C, and incorporate it into a new language.

I think you might be looking at a decision made in the late 1980s through a
pair of glasses made in 2018.

As a C programmer back then I never had a problem with C's octal number
notation. People coming from C, C++ or Java to Python at that time would
certainly have understood that syntax. It's only in the past 15 years or so
that we've seen tons of people coming to Python as a first language for
whom leading zero notation would be unfamiliar.

Skip