Leading 0's syntax error in datetime.date module (Python 3.6)

Virgil Stokes vs at it.uu.se
Thu May 10 06:43:33 EDT 2018

Module info:

Python 3.6.5 (v3.6.5:f59c0932b4, Mar 28 2018, 17:00:18) [MSC v.1900 64
bit (AMD64)]

C:\Python36>pip show datetime
Name: DateTime
Version: 4.2
Author: Zope Foundation and Contributors
Author-email: zope-dev at zope.org
License: ZPL 2.1
Location: c:\python36\lib\site-packages
Requires: zope.interface, pytz

I tried first to use Python's built-in datetime module as follows:

from datetime import date, timedelta

  d0 = date(2018,02,01)

This gave the following error:

Syntax Error: invalid token: C:\Users\Virgil Stokes\Desktop\Important
Notes_Files\CheckProcessingDate_02.py, line 7, pos 17
d0 = date(2018,02,01)

Then I used pip to install the datetime module and the same error
occurred! However, when I removed the leading 0's no syntax error was
reported and the correct result was returned.

d0 = date(2018,2,1)

Why does the datetime.date  module (both built-in and site-package) not
accept leading 0's?