write to file

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat May 5 09:27:36 EDT 2018

On Sat, 05 May 2018 04:25:50 -0700, Sharan Basappa wrote:

> In my program, I have print statements for debugging. However, these are
> cluttering the display. So, I am trying to save these to a file but
> somehow I cant seem to get it correct.

There are lots of way to solve this problem.

The best way is to use the logging module. Here are a couple of
introductions to it:

https://docs.python.org/3/howto/logging.html#logging-basic-tutorial

https://pymotw.com/3/logging/index.html

and there are many more:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=python+logging+tutorial

but we can start with something much simpler, just using print.

You have already run:

    fh = open("ML_PY_2.log","w+")

at the start of your program, now call print:

    print("target_names:",target_names, file=fh)

Finally, at the end of your program, call:

    fh.close()

--
Steve