Python Developer Survey: Python 3 usage overtakes Python 2 usage

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 12:28:19 EDT 2018

On Mar 31, 2018 09:58, "Etienne Robillard" <tkadm30 at yandex.com> wrote:

Le 2018-03-31 à 11:40, Michael Torrie a écrit :

> On 03/31/2018 08:58 AM, Etienne Robillard wrote:
>
>> I was just wondering, could the fact that the Python community is
>> willing to discontinue using and developing Python 2 softwares, does
>>   that mean we are stopping to support standard computers and laptops
>> as well?
>>
> I've tried several times but I can't make sense of that paragraph.

Please give me a break. That was just a simple question. Besides, I really
don't understand why the Python development community is dropping support
for Python 2 unless for stopping to support standard computers altogether...

Why would dropping support for python 2 indicate an abandonment of
conventional desktop computers and operating systems?  Python3 is not a
mobile language. Why do you think it is?

> Furthermore, does it bother you to develop code primarly oriented
>> towards mobile devices in Python 3 while most of the world still
>> cannot afford theses expensive products?
>>
> Or this one.  What are you talking about?

Are you trolling? Do you understand that a modern mobile device typically
require a Internet subscription and an additional subscription for the
smart phone?

I'm not trolling. I genuinely don't understand where you're coming from.
What does python3 have to do with mobile development? I know of very little
mobile development happening with any version of python.

Do you really think people in Somalia can afford theses things like in the
US?

I can assure you that smart phones have made waves even in Somalia. As far
as it goes, I'm quite sure a smart phone is way cheaper than a desktop or
laptop.

But again I don't understand why you're talking about mobile as if python
is somehow abandoning desktop. You're coming from a false premise with that
one.