Python Developer Survey: Python 3 usage overtakes Python 2 usage

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 12:10:11 EDT 2018

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 2:58 AM, Etienne Robillard <tkadm30 at yandex.com> wrote:

> Le 2018-03-31 à 11:40, Michael Torrie a écrit :
>>
>> On 03/31/2018 08:58 AM, Etienne Robillard wrote:
>>>
>>> I was just wondering, could the fact that the Python community is
>>> willing to discontinue using and developing Python 2 softwares, does
>>>   that mean we are stopping to support standard computers and laptops
>>> as well?
>>
>> I've tried several times but I can't make sense of that paragraph.
>
> Please give me a break. That was just a simple question. Besides, I really
> don't understand why the Python development community is dropping support
> for Python 2 unless for stopping to support standard computers altogether...

How are they related? What does the termination of support for a
ten-year-old version of Python have to do with forcing everyone to
mobile devices that they don't own?

You might as well ask if after 2020 there will be no further support
for OSX, or no further support for compilers other than gcc, or no
further support for 64-bit computers.

ChrisA