Python Developer Survey: Python 3 usage overtakes Python 2 usage

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Mar 30 19:43:14 EDT 2018

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 11:45:10 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

> https://www.jetbrains.com/research/python-developers-survey-2017/ “Which
> version of Python do you use the most?”
> 2014 80% 2.x, 20% 3.x
> 2016 60% 2.x, 40% 3.x
> 2017 25% 2.x, 75% 3.x
>
> This is a bigger jump than I anticipated.

Thanks for finding the info Terry. It's about what I expected, a typical
S-shaped adoption curve:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigmoid_function

You start with a few early adopters, which takes a long time to grow, but
once it hits a certain critical mass of popularity, there is a sudden and
rapid period of growth until the great majority are using the new
technology.

According to the standard technology adoption life-cycle, we're now in
the period where the Late Majority are moving to Python 3. By 2020, I
expect that will be complete, and we'll enter a long period as the
Laggards slowly convert over a period of about five years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_adoption_life_cycle

https://ondigitalmarketing.com/learn/odm/foundations/5-customer-segments-
technology-adoption/

So I expect that by 2025, the percentage of people using 2.x will drop
below 1% and by 2030 the numbers using 2.x will be about the same as
those using 1.x.

--
Steve