Entering a very large number

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 07:28:00 EDT 2018

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 9:30 PM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 26/03/2018 16:31, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> Yeah. It's so annoying that compilers work so hard to make your code
>> fast, when all you want to do is measure exactly how slow it is.
>> Compiler authors are stupid.
>

> In some ways, yes they are. If they were in charge of Formula 1 pre-race
> speed trials, all cars would complete the circuit in 0.00 seconds with an
> average speed of infinity mph.

Actually, I think this would be a vast improvement to Formula 1
racing. We just declare out-of-bounds driving to be "undefined
behaviour" in the C sense and permit it to crash at run-time, and then
optimize the actual driving away. The net effect of the race is to
burn certain amounts of fuel; the cars themselves are immaterial. A
properly optimized F1 race, therefore, is a bonfire.

ChrisA