Pep8 for long pattern

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 23:12:03 EDT 2018

On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 9:37:14 PM UTC-5, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> I can easily get 132+ columns of a font large enough for my
> 52 year old eyes on a 15" laptop.

Well, if you're comfortable with the long lines, fine. But
be aware that long lines are poo-pooed in most professional
enviroments.

> 80 is actually a bit defeatist, because it discourages
> developers from using more descriptive identifiers.

I'm a big fan of self-documenting code. But sometimes i have
to remind myself that really long names make the code harder
to read. The wise find a nice balance between readability
and self-documenting. And unless you're a masochist, don't
look to Microsoft for inspiration!

Another reason for 80 char limit is to prevent deeply nested
blocks. At the PEP8 recommended four-space-indention, three
blocks is about all you can get. And that's good enough for
me.