Ruby parens-free function calls [was Re: Accessing parent objects]

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 13:19:51 EDT 2018

On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 11:35:31 AM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:
> Why are you suggesting that this is magic?

_You_ are the one who leveled the accusation that Ruby's
methodology for fetching a function reference (a la):

    Object.method(meth-name-here)

is "magic". I'm merely requesting that you defend _your_
accusation. That's all.

> Yep, one of the most misunderstood lines in the zen.
> "Explicit" means "stuff I like", and "implicit" means
> "stuff I don't like". Or at least, that's how I see this
> used.

Perhaps (and unfortunately) some folks in this community
interpret the zen as you claim, however, the words explicit
and implicit have clear definitions, and thus, to ascribe
them to personal "likes" is a miscarriage of both
comprehension and objectivity.