please test the new PyPI (now in beta)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 09:54:34 EDT 2018

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 10:50 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 22:25:44 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 9:49 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>> <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>>> As an extra bonus, even when searching is not reliant on Javascript,
>>> mangling the text in the search box often is, so unless I'm extra
>>> careful, whenever I want to search for (say) "aardvarks", I invariably
>>> end up searching for "searaardvarksch".
>>>
>>> At least the new PyPI search box is better than that. They get a point.
>>>

>> "Mangling the text" should never be necessary. The HTML5 <input> tag has
>> a 'placeholder' attribute for a reason.
>

> You're assuming the page is using HTML5. I've used a lot of these that
> did it in Javascript, and didn't degrade gracefully if Javascript was
> disabled.

Any time you see something that requires JavaScript for this, you know
you've found a web site that dates back to... uhh, actually I don't
know. I only have versioning info on MDN back as far as HTML 4.01 ergo
1999, and the placeholder attribute is there. Of course, that doesn't
mean everyone *used* it, but it was certainly available.

ChrisA