Entering a very large number

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 23:52:20 EDT 2018

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 12:55:43 AM UTC+5:30, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> On 2018-03-25 19:18:23 +0200, ast wrote:
> > Le 25/03/2018 à 03:47, Steven D'Aprano a écrit :
> > > The Original Poster (OP) is concerned about saving, what, a tenth of a
> > > microsecond in total? Hardly seems worth the effort, especially if you're
> > > going to end up with something even slower.
> > >

> > I regret that many answers are malicious, as your.

tl;dr:

I plead guilty with my almost first post in this thread containing: «In case there is a religious commitment to PEP 8 dicta… »

Apologies!

> I just looked up "malicious" in Merriam-Webster, just in case it has
> some meaning I wasn't previously aware of.
>
> Nope. It says:
>
>     : having or showing a desire to cause harm to someone
>     : given to, marked by, or arising from malice
>
> and malice is defined as:
>
>     : desire to cause pain, injury, or distress to another
>     : intent to commit an unlawful act or cause harm without legal
>     justification or excuse

O come! The OP is apparently not an English speaker; just do
s/malicious/gratuitously unkind/
or just
s/malicious/rude/

My excuse if any is that I was using “religious” in a precise way as
“belief-system” and the over-rigorous commitment to 72 (or whatever) length
lines can be a belief→commitment that produces egregious results

The deeper difficulty is that it is impossible to be human and not have some
non-verifiable beliefs. And yet when these beliefs harden into ossified
religions the results can be unimaginably pernicious

In particular, the complement set: belief-system - classic-religion
can contain the most pernicious examples:  Just compare the number killed in
the name of Islam or Christianity with those killed by communism and divide by
the number of years these 'religions' held sway

Some other examples:

1. Irreligion is a more pernicious belief-system than (classic) religion:
https://youtu.be/6PbYoQw8M48

2. Science as a delusional belief-system:
https://youtu.be/JKHUaNAxsTg

3. New-Atheism as a colonialist project: https://aquasanju.wordpress.com/2015/08/08/new-atheists-are-privilege-deniers-sushant-taing/

It is particularly striking that 2 above was banned! Shows how identical are the
subconscious psychological drivers of medieval popes and today's scientists (so-called)