[OT] multicore/cpu history

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Mar 25 18:52:59 EDT 2018

On Sun, 25 Mar 2018 23:29:07 +0200, Peter J. Holzer wrote:

[...]
>> > Yeah, it was always "multiple CPUs", not "multiple cores" when I was
>> > growing up.
>
> Yes, but the difference is only an implementation detail.

Not really. With multiple CPUs, you have the option of running two
distinct OSes in isolation, not merely virtual machines but actual
distinct machines in the same box. And the CPUs don't necessarily need to
be the same type, see for example the hybrid Apple Mac/Lisp Machine
released in the late 1980s or early 90s.

Of course, today, virtualisation is in many practical senses virtually as
good (pun intended) as actual distinct machines with distinct CPUs, and
the cost of adding multiple cores is typically cheaper than adding
multiple CPUs, so there's little point unless you're working with serious
supercomputer hardware where you need more cores than will fit on a
single chip.

--
Steve