Accessing parent objects

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 22:20:19 EDT 2018

On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 6:57:29 PM UTC-5, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> There's nothing wrong with super() in Python 2. You just
> have to understand what you're doing. It's still the right
> solution for doing inheritance the right way.

The problem is, Python's super is not intuitive.

And i'd like to use it. I really would! Because, yes, you
are correct when you say: "super is the proper way to do
inherence". But for some reason, i just cannot get it to
work reliably.

And reading the docs doesn't help.

Seriously, i find it difficult to believe no one else has
been stumped by Python's super. I have used super in other
languages with no issues -- everything is intuitive -- but
in Python, my favorite language, forget about it.

So now, i've got all this Python code with explicit
inheritance, and it works, but it just feels ugly.