Putting Unicode characters in JSON

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Sat Mar 24 15:59:58 EDT 2018

On 2018-03-25 06:30:54 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 3:35 AM, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-python at hjp.at> wrote:
> > On 2018-03-24 11:21:09 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
> >> If the database has been configured to use UTF-8 (as mentioned, that's
> >> "utf8mb4" in MySQL), you won't get that byte sequence back. You'll get
> >> back valid UTF-8.
> >
> > Actually (with python3 and mysql.connector), you'll get back str values,
> > not byte values encoded in utf-8 or latin-1. You don't have to decode
> > them because the driver already did it.
> >
> > So as a Python programmer, you don't care what character set the
> > database uses internally, as this is almost completely hidden from you
> > (The one aspect that isn't hidden is of course the set of characters
> > that you can store in a character field: Obviously, you can't store
> > Chinese characters in a latin1 field).
>
> Good. I mentioned earlier that that's how it is with PostgreSQL and
> psycopg2, but wasn't sure about the MySQL interface modules. Glad to
> know that it is.

I'm surprised that PEP 249 doesn't specify this. It seems worth
standardizing (OTOH it's the "one obvious way to do it", so maybe it
doesn't need to be specified explicitely).

The interfaces for the 4 databases I use (psycopg2 for PostgreSQL,
cx_Oracle, mysql.connector and sqlite3) all behave the same for varchar
fields, which makes me reasonably confident that this is also the case
for other databases.

        hp