Putting Unicode characters in JSON

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 20:44:25 EDT 2018

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 11:39 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> There is NOT always a good reason for a suboptimal configuration.
>
> True. Did anyone claim otherwise?
>
> What I saw Steven responding to was your claim that there is *never* a
> good reason to do it.
>
> To refute that, it's sufficient to show that good reason can exist in
> some cases. That's entirely compatible with a good reason not existing
> in other cases.

I'll concede that sometimes it's a lot of effort to fix misconfigured
databases. However, it's a form of technical debt, and when you start
investigating problems ("this isn't working because X is incompatible
with Y"), that's an indication that it's starting to cost you to
*maintain* the misconfiguration. Hence it's more likely to be worth
just paying off your technical debt and moving forward.

ChrisA