Thank you Python community!

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Mar 19 17:58:40 EDT 2018

Etienne Robillard <tkadm30 at yandex.com> writes:

> I would like to thank you guys sincerely for helping a lot of people
> to stay clean, and focus on programming high-level stuff in Python
> instead of doing some really nasty drugs.

Thank you for the kind words.

I'd love to believe the Python community has the significant benefit you
describe. That just raises the importance of being skeptical (because I
*want* it to be true, means more rigour is needed to avoid the bias to
believe it; read about “confirmation bias” to see the problem).

So, in the interest of having our beliefs match the facts: What is the
verifiable, statistically sound evidence that this effect actually
occurs as a result of the Python community's help with programming?
Where is it pbulished so we can see it? What is the size of the measured
effect?

> It's time we regroup and combine our forces to help people who really
> needs our help.

Combining forces to help the needy is a sentiment I can fully endorse,
for sure.

--
 \       "Success is going from one failure to the next without a loss |
  `\                             of enthusiasm."  -- Winston Churchill |