csv module and NULL data byte

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Mon Mar 12 00:05:57 EDT 2018

>Any idea why it might throw an exception on encountering a NULL in the
>input stream? It accepts all other 255 byte values. Was this behaviour
>intended? Perhaps a comment should be added to the docs.
>Thanks for your work on the module anyway.

The original module was like this - it comes about through the C convention
of null-terminated strings (the module is coded in C). It would have been
fairly involved to removed the restriction, and I would have run the risk
of introducing subtle breakage for a feature nobody had asked for in the
years we were maintaining the module outside the Python core... 8-)

http://www.object-craft.com.au/